Jeffrey Phillips Design is a boutique design shop in Cedar Park, Texas, just north of Austin. I'm a graphic designer who likes to play in lots of different sandboxes. I've designed it all: annual reports, magazines, newspaper ads, direct-mail pieces, and technical literature. I'm primarily a technical illustrator, but have been known to draw the occasional editorial art. I'm an experienced photographer and videographer, and while I prefer product photography, I think I'm pretty good at photojournalism and advertising photography as well. And as I hope you can tell by this little block of text here, I can write keyword-laden web copy as well.
Thanks for coming by!
- Twenty years' experience in design & production, using both Macintosh and Windows systems, photography, illustration and other graphic skills.
- Apple Macintosh systems engineering and networking.
- Copywriting, editing and proofing, including writing for multimedia and video.
- Buzzword-compliant: HTML, PHP, MySQL, FTP, OS X, MPEG-4, CMYK
Jeffrey Phillips Design
(July 1997 - Present)
- Ronadro.com, featuring medical and dental sculptures. Macintosh systems consulting.
- Shieldski.com, featuring custom-built fishing equipment. Logo design. Product photography.
- Both sites feature custom PHP/MySQL back-ends for client updating and management
Technical Writer/Illustrator/Graphic Artist
3M Company/Liaison Resources LP, Austin, TX
(On-site: August 2001 - October 2011; Independent contractor: November 2011 - present)
- Create technical documentation and illustrations for multiple divisions within 3M. Provide illustration, photography and video services to clients within 3M. Photograph and illustrate 3M products for marketing materials. Digital video production.
Extensive use of Adobe Creative Suite to create long, structured technical documentation, reports and data sheets.
- Illustrate assembly and "how-to" sequences.
- Design marketing material and web graphics.
- Multi-camera live audio-video production.
- Extensive use of Adobe Creative Suite: InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Dreamweaver and Acrobat. Occasional use of Final Cut Pro and Adobe After Effects.
- Clients include Electrical Markets Division, Communications Markets Division, Projector Systems Division, Health Information Systems and Electronic Solutions Department.
Graphic Artist/Pre-Press Specialist
Copy Craft Printers, Inc., Austin, TX
(May 2000 - July 2001)
- Prepare customer materials for high-end multi-color offset lithography. Ensure materials meet quality and technical requirements. Implemented PDF and ColorSync workflows.
- Art direction, design and copywriting for company advertising materials.
Midtown Printing & Graphics, Lubbock, TX
(February 2000 - May 2000)
- Prepare customer materials for Heidelberg GTO-DI. Operate Agfa RIP. Implemented ColorSync workflow.
Vice President/Art Director
Caviness Advertising, Lubbock, TX
(August 1994 - February 2000)
- Responsible for daily operation of Art Department. Design and production of advertising and related materials, including newspaper ads, brochures, outdoor, pop, and direct mail advertising from initial concept through finished piece. Specify, bid and purchase printing and related services.
- Write, direct and produce television and radio advertising.
- Produce all internet-related materials and web sites. Produce interactive materials for CD-ROM.
- Extensive use of QuarkXPress, FreeHand, Illustrator and Photoshop. Audio and video production including Betacam and 1" broadcast equipment.
- Design & implement agency IT system, including Windows NT and Mac OS file and print servers, email, ftp and www servers, and agency management software. Responsible for all hardware and software purchasing & implementation decisions (approx. $25,000/year).
Art Director/Systems Operator
Starlight Publishing Inc., Albuquerque, NM
Custom Publishing Division
(January 1993 - August 1994)
- Art direction, design and production of multiple titles including New Mexico, America's Land of Enchantment, Vistas West, Calendar Santa Fe and several visitors guides to Western cities. Production of The New Mexico Almanac. Worked with outside service bureaus. Extensive use of QuarkXPress, FreeHand, Illustrator and Photoshop.
- Designed, installed and maintained Art Department Macintosh network. Installed and upgraded software packages. Ensured system reliability and back-up. Recommended and specified hardware upgrades.
Art Director/Systems Operator
Information Publishing Corp., Houston, TX
Public Communications Magazine
(September 1990 - January 1993)
- Art direction, design and production of monthly trade journal. Redesigned magazine, January 1992. Designed and produced four-color and black and white illustrations. Designed and produced in-house and client advertising. Supervised associate artist. Worked with outside service bureaus. Color slide production. Extensive use of QuarkXPress, FreeHand and Photoshop.
- Designed, installed and maintained Art Department Macintosh network.
Exxon USA/AAW Contrax, Inc., Houston, TX
(August - September 1990)
- Produced training manuals for Exxon USA Training Department.
Ashford Art, Inc., Houston, TX
Ashford AutoImaging, Inc.
(May - August 1990)
- Pre-press production using DOS and Macintosh systems. Page makeup, design, illustration, and copywriting. Slide production using dedicated Autographix workstation. Operated Autographix Imaging Center. Operated Linotronic imagesetter and Celco film recorder. Installed Appletalk network.
Congruent Technologies, Inc.
Kelly Services, Austin, TX
(March - May 1990)
- Produced series of software manuals for AT&T Value Added Reseller.
Assistant Rental Manager
Texas Pacific Film Video/GEAR, Austin, TX
(August 1988 - February 1990)
Film Production Services, Inc., Houston, TX
(December 1987-July 1988)
Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, Dreamweaver)
The University of Texas at Austin, B.S., Radio-Television-Film, December 1987
- Activities included: Cadet Captain Air Force ROTC, Arnold Air Society, RTF Club, Explorer Post 1.
- Design Center @ 3M Ace Award 2005
- Austin Advertising Federation, 2001
- Lubbock Advertising Federation Board of Directors, 1997-2000
LAF 2nd Vice President, 1998
- Honorable Discharge, USAFR, E-3
- Commander, Scabbard and Blade, 1985
- Commander, AFROTC Color Guard, 1985-1986
- General Dynamics Cadet Award, National Sojourners Award, 1985
- Eagle Scout; Member, National Eagle Scout Association
- Cub Scout Den Leader, 2008-present
- National English Merit Award, 1983
- Two Maggie Awards, 1993
- Bronze Telly Awards, 1996, 1998
- Addy Awards, 1996-1998, 2000